Mold in Your Home? Here are Ways to Get Rid of the Problem

Share this article

Mold is a common problem in many households in the United States. It is an allergen that, if inhaled, exacerbates symptoms of respiratory issues, including asthma. Moreover, it may cause the integrity of your home to weaken, endangering the lives of the people you love.

Mold grows anywhere and under whatever weather condition. You cannot expect to be safe from mold just because it is summer.

If you encounter mold in your home, what should you do? Here are the most common places in your home where you can find mold and tips on how to get rid of the problem.


Your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system provides an ideal environment for mold to grow and proliferate. It is also a prime spot for mold spores to be carried into the air and spread throughout the house, causing sneezing and coughing to members of your family and guests.

In this case, you might need to call your local duct cleaning service. Removing mold from your HVAC will not be easy. Aside from time-consuming, it can be dangerous since you would need to reach a tight and enclosed space. You do not want to inhale either mold spores or the fumes from the cleaning products you use, both of which can irritate your lungs.

The professionals will have the proper protective gear, and they would know exactly what to do to make the process safer for the cleaners and for the homeowners.

Bathroom/Kitchen Tiles and Grout

Wherever there is water, mold can grow. In addition to moisture, the presence of body soil and traces of food make the bathroom and the kitchen to establish an infestation.

There are a variety of products that can remove mold from bathrooms and kitchens. Some people, however, use a mix of hot water and baking soda or water and bleach to the affected area. Then, using an old brush, they scrub the mold until the surface is clean.

The challenge is how to prevent mold from appearing in your home once again. Experts recommend opening the windows to allow proper ventilation after you shower. Ideally, you have a fan and a vent that will push the humid air out of the bathroom. Your kitchen should also be ventilated adequately, especially while you cook, to remove humidity in the room.

Clean every corner of your bathroom and kitchen regularly. Wash the shower curtains, bath mats, kitchen rugs, etc.

Household Appliances


Mold can also appear in your appliances. From your washing machine to your coffee maker, everything in your home is in danger.

You can easily remove the fungi from your washing machine by running a cycle with hot water mixes with chlorine bleach. Do this at least once a month.

As for the refrigerator, microwave, oven, coffee maker, and others, you can use distilled white vinegar to kill the common allergen and inhibit further growth.

Exterior Surfaces

The exterior walls and walkways are not safe from mold. Mold can grow on any type of building material, including brick, concrete, and stone. If left alone, it will grow and stain your home, making it look old and dirty.

A mix of bleach and water can remove mold from any surface. Brush the affected wall or walkway thoroughly and then rinse with water.

Do not let mold grow. As soon as you spot signs of fungi (i.e. a musty smell or dark stains), do something to remove it. Mold will grow and become a bigger problem unless you do something about it.

Share this article
Scroll to Top